Tricks and Tips to be in Tip TOPS Shape
July 18, 2017
With the fabulous weather we have in Arizona, everyone is in search year round of a quick fix to become bikini ready/shorts ready/fit. Since consistency is key to creating the body we all desire, we have created a workout schedule for you to follow throughout the week to keep your exercise sessions exciting and to keep your body guessing. By sticking to our plan, you will not have to worry about being “TOPSless” at the beach and pool this summer!
Move It Monday
– We like to move it, move it to start our work week out right. Aim for 45-60 minutes of steady state cardio or 20-30 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) outside, on a treadmill, on a bike, or in the pool. Spend some time before or after your workout meditating so you are mindful of your week ahead, and prepare yourself for all the workouts during the week by setting out all your exercise outfits so you will be sure to stay on track!
Tone It Up Tuesday
– Use today to tone and sculpt your beautiful body. Try out our sample workout for a quick strength training session..
Row 1000 M or Run 800 M; complete 3 rounds: 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats
Back or Front Squat 4 sets x 8 reps
Unweighted Bulgarian Squats 4 sets x 10 reps
Box Jumps 20-30″ 4 sets x 10 reps
Complete “Annie” workout for time
50-40-30-20-10 rep rounds of: Double Unders and Sit-ups
– If you cannot complete Double Unders with the jump rope, perform twice the amount of single jumps for each round
Work It Out Wednesday
– You have made it to hump day, but we still need to work, work, work, work, work today! Get out of your comfort zone today and try a new workout class or mix up your regular routine to keep your body guessing. Strive for 30 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of stretching, core work, and/or meditation. Some of our favorite abdominal exercises include: planks, side planks, Russian twists, bicycles, v-ups, and scissor kicks. Focus your stretches on the hip flexors, piriformis, hamstrings, and calves, and spend at least 5 minutes performing a mindful breathing exercise to slow down your heart rate and calm down your autonomic nervous system.
Throw It Down Thursday
– We like to get after it on Thursdays, so be prepared to get your sweat on. Follow our thirsty Thursday workout, and your body with thank you when you are done!
3 rounds: Run 400 M, 20 KB swings, 15 jump squats, 10 DB rows each arm
Bench Press or Inclined Bench Press 4 sets x 8 reps
Resistance Band High Row 4 sets x 12 reps
OH Plate Carry 4 sets x 50 M
KB Farmer Carry 4 sets x 100 M
Complete “Fran” workout for time
21-15-9 reps of: Thrusters (front squat to push press) and Pull-ups
– Suggested Weight for Thrusters: Men = 95 lbs; Women = 65 lbs
Couch stretch for 2 minutes on each side
Fit It in Friday
– TGIF! Although everyone is excited for the weekend, do not forget to squeeze in a short 25-45 minutes of cardio or HIIT and at least 5 total body exercises. We know you are all busy and you are tired from the long week, but fitting in a short workout is always better than skipping it. You can do this!
HIIT Workout – repeat cycle 3 times through and rest as much as needed between rounds
– 1 minute of squats
– 1 minute of push-ups
– 1 minute of mountain climbers
– 1 minute of bench dips
– 1 minute of burpees
– 1 minute of crunches
– 1 minute of jumping lunges
– 1 minute of planks
Total Body Exercises – choose from any of the following, and complete at least 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Feel free to use your imagination and combine any exercises to challenge the body and increase the complexity of the exercise.
– Walking Lunges
– Kettlebell or Dumbbell Swings
– Bicep Curls
– Lateral Lunges
– Thrusters (Squat + OH press)
– Lateral Dumbbell Raises
– Dumbbell Rows
– Single leg sit to stand
– Lat pull downs
– Bench press
– Box Jumps
Slow It Down Saturday
– It’s the freakin’ weekend! Take today to perform a long, slow run and to spend some time outdoors walking, biking, or hiking. Shoot for 30-60 minutes of cardio today, followed by some much needed stretching and a brunch date with friends. Life is all about balance, so make sure you are taking time to play as hard as you work!
Stretch It Out Sunday
– Sunday is your recovery day! Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep tonight, and if you feel like doing something active, opt for a slow recovery walk, foam rolling, or a yoga session. Use the day to prepare all your food, your workouts, and yourself for the busy week ahead!
ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR WORKOUT?
Do you feel like hitting snooze and skipping your workout?!? Make sure to follow this readiness assessment every morning and ask yourself the following 3 questions:
1. Did I sleep for 7 hours?
2. Do I desire to train?
3. Am I in a good mood?
If you answered “No” to 2 out of the 3 questions, you should probably consider skipping your training session for the day in favor of 30-60 minutes of walking. Take the time to listen to your body – it is usually trying to tell you something!
For more information about workouts, rehabilitation, wellness, and health, visit www.topsphysicaltherapy.com and check us out on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Or if you have a specific question comment on Facebook!